This is a very light but tasty dessert. Have another slice... This recipe makes two cakes.
3/4 cup flour
1-1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice (or some cream of tartar)
1 large package of blackberries
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Crack the eggs and put the yolks and whites in separate large bowls.
2. Beat the egg yolks with an electric hand blender.
3. Add 3/4 cup sugar slowly, then 1 tsp vanilla extract, and beat until creamy white.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. 5. Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, and mix well.
6. Rinse off the blender blades well, then add the lemon juice or cream or tartar to the whites.
7. Blend the whites to stiff peaks.
8. Fold gently the whites into the yolk mixture until well combined.
9. Grease two rectangular bread tins, and divide mixture between the two.
10. Bake the cakes at 375 degrees for 12 minutes, until the center bounces back when pressed gently.
11. Take cakes out and allow to cool.
12. Flip each out cake upside down onto large plates.
13. On low heat, combine the blackberries and 1/2 cup sugar.
14. Cook berry mixture while gently crushing the berries until only small lumps of berry remain in the sauce.
15. Allow sauce to cool before pouring onto the cakes, allowing some sauce and berries to fall along the edges and the plate.
16. Combine whipping cream and 1 tsp vanilla, then whip up.
17. Top the cakes with dollops of whipped cream.
Back to Emily's Recipe Book