I know, nothing new. But I just wanted to keep this recipe handy for myself.
(Addendum - May 14, 2005. - I replaced the chicken broth with home-made chicken broth, and shredded the chicken meat and added that to the rice. How nice!)
1 cup arborio rice
1 can of Swanson low-sodium chicken broth
1 wine glass good white wine
3 small shallots
1 clove garlic
3 tbsp ricotta
1/2 cup grated grana padano (or parmesan)
1 fresh sprig of rosemary
1 tsp dry ground rosemary
2 tbsp olive oil
4 colour pepper, freshly ground
1. Rinse the arborio rice a few times.
2. Boil the chicken broth in a pot with the sprig of fresh rosemary.
3. In a separate pot on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and finely chopped shallots and garlic.
4. When slightly caramelized, add the rice to toast it for about 3 minutes.
5. Pour in cold white wine to shock the rice.
6. Keep stirring until alcohol mostly evaporated, then add 1/3 of the warm chicken broth.
7. When chicken broth is mostly absorbed, add more, then add the ground rosemary.
8. When all the broth is added and the rice is al dente, turn off the heat and mix in the ricotta and grana padano.
9. Cover the rice for a few minutes before serving.
10. Grind some 4-colour pepper over rice before serving.
Back to Emily's Recipe Book